Here is the recipe:
- Canola or safflower oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, eyeball it in palm of hand
- 2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder, available on spice aisle
- 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound large fantail shrimp, deveined and peeled -- ask for easy peels at fish counter
Heat 2 inches oil over medium high heat. A cube of bread should brown in a 10 count when oil is ready.
Season bread crumbs with salt, cayenne pepper and five-spice powder. Cut the lime into wedges and reserve.
Toss coconut with seasoned bread crumbs to combine. Lightly beat the egg whites. Dip shrimp in the egg whites, then coat with the coconut breading. Fry shrimp 5 minutes in hot oil until evenly golden and crispy. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
We served it with Outback's Orange Marmalade Dipping Sauce. Also a winner.
Here is the recipe: (I think next time I make it, I will probably half the recipe, because we had a lot left over.)
- 1/2 cup Orange Marmalade
- 1/4 cup stone ground,Dijon "country" mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3-4 dashes hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
- Chill at least an hour before serving.