Sunday, February 21, 2010

Some Recipes

When I posted just a little while ago, I forgot that I had some recipes that I wanted to post as well. I get to writing about Coleman and totally forget everything else, so forgive me.

Yesterday I made these Cinnamon Bun Pancakes. Oh, man, were they good. They tasted like cinnamon buns and pancakes all in one.

Ingredients:
  • 1-½ cup All-purpose Flour
  • 3 Tablespoons White Sugar
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
  • 2 whole Eggs Beaten
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
  • ¼ cups Butter, Melted
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla

Directions:

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon with a whisk. Whisk well to make sure everything is combined.

In separate large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, corn syurp, butter and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium/low heat. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto griddle. Brown on both sides.

Serve warm with icing drizzled over the top.


These were especially easy to make since Jason and I bought our two burner griddle pan. I highly recommend it.


I have been asked a couple times for my chili recipe, so I thought that I would share that as well. I have been known to double and triple this recipe and I usually cook it in the crockpot, but it can be cooked over the stove.

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground chuck or turkey

salt and pepper to taste

2 cans diced tomatoes with garlic and onions

2 small cans tomato sauce

1 TBS chili powder

1 tsp cumin

salsa (any kind. I just pour some in to add a little spice. Maybe 1/2 c to a cup)

Directions:

Brown meat with salt and pepper. Drain.

Add tomatoes, spices, meat, and salsa to a large sauce pan and cook for 20 min or so on medium. (this can also be done in the crock pot)

Serve with Fritos, cheddar cheese, and sour cream. This is also good with basic Jiffy corn muffins if that is what you happen to be craving at the moment.


And finally, I think I am going to make this and surprise Jason when he comes home tonight. I made it at my first Apples of Gold Bible study and Jason said it was the best apple pie he has ever had.

The Mom's Apple Pie to End All Mom's Apple Pies

1/3 c sugar

1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

3 TBS flour

1 tsp ground cinnamon

6 large Granny Smith apples (pared, cored, and sliced)

Short and Tender Pie crust

2 TBS butter

Topping:

1 c lightly spooned all-purpose flour

1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 stick butter

Directions:

Combine sugar, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in large bowl, pressing out any lumps. Add apples and toss well to mix. Pour into pie shell and dot with butter.

Topping: Combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Scatter topping thickly over apple filling.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until crust and topping are nicely browned. Cool before cutting.


An interesting tidbit about apples, baking apples have rounded bottoms (think Granny Smith) while eating apples have more pointed bottoms (think Red Delicious). You can eat baking apples, but it isn't good to bake with eating apples. Now you know. :)

Pie Crust Recipe

1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1 TBS sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c shortening

3 to 4 TBS cold water

Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until fine crumbs form. Add water a tablespoon at a time, mixing briskly with a fork just until pastry holds together. Do not over mix or pastry will toughen. Roll out on floured surface to a 13-in round. Fit into a 9-in pie plate. trim overhang to 1 inch; turn under flush with rim. Pinch to make the crust edges fluted.

I just remembered that I used all of my cinnamon yesterday for the pancakes, so unless Jason stops by the store on his way home, we won't be having apple pie this evening. Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment